What is Director ID?
Director Identification Numbers are being introduced as part of the Government’s Modernisation of Business Registers Program. It is a 15-digit identifier given to directors which will be used moving forward, similar to the way we use TFNs.
All directors are required by law to verify their identity in order to get a Director ID. This will help to prevent the use of false director identities, make it easier for regulators to trace directors’ relationships with companies over time and identify and eliminate unlawful activity by directors. Even if you change companies, stop being a director, change your name or move interstate or overseas, your Director ID Number will remain the same.
Who needs a Director ID?
You will need a Director ID Number if:
- You are the director of a company
- You are the director of an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- You are the director of a corporate trustee
- You are the director of a charity or not-for-profit organisation that is a company or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
- You are the director of a registered Australian body
- You are the director of a foreign company registered with ASIC and carrying on business in Australia
When do I need to get a Director ID?
Applications for a Director ID will open on 1st November 2021. The date you need to have applied will depend on the date you became a director.
- If you became a director on or before 31 October 2021, you must apply by 30 November 2022
- If you become a director between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022, you must apply within 28 days of appointment
- If you become a director from 5 April 2022, you must apply before you are appointed
How do I get a Director ID?
All directors must apply for their own Director ID Number. The first step is to set up myGovID which is an app you can download on to your phone or other smart device. It is an account that allows you access to online services including the ATO, Centrelink and Medicare. Once you have downloaded the app, you will need to follow the prompts to verify your identity. You will need a standard or strong identity strength in MyGovID before you can apply for your Director ID Number.
It is important to note that the myGovID app is separate from the myGov app.
Once applications open, you will need the following information ready for when you apply for your Director ID Number:
- Your Tax File Number
- Your residential address – this must match the address that the ATO have on file.
- Information from 2 documents that can be used to verify your identity such as:
• Bank account details
• An ATO notice of assessment
• Super account details
• A dividend statement
• A Centrelink payment summary
• A PAYG payment summary
From 1st November, you will be able to download your online application from the Australian Business Registry Services.
What steps should I take now?
In preparation for this change, we suggest that you begin by creating a MyGov ID Account and gathering the documents required for your application. This will mean that when applications open for Director ID Numbers, you will be prepared.
We will release further information on Director ID Numbers and the application process as and when it becomes available.
Once you have your Director ID Number, we ask that you please share this information with us so that we can record this against the company register.
It is the responsibility of each Director to apply for their Director ID Number. While we will not be able to directly assist with the lodgement of applications, we can provide guidance where needed. If you are unsure whether you need to apply for a Director ID Number or have any questions about the process, please reach out to your usual HTA contacts or call the office on 03 9810 3666.
You can access further information on the Australian Business Registry Services website.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to your usual point of contact at HTA if you have any questions or concerns about the above information.